Friday, August 5, 2011

On to purees!

When Sam hit 5 months I started thinking about "solids"...I thought maybe I would try "baby led weaning" this time around (when you skip purees and go straight to soft, tiny pieces of foods and let baby feed himself) but then I got excited about trying all kinds of new foods and too impatient to wait for Sam to figure out how to eat efficiently...so I started making purees. I made all Charlie's purees and he is an excellent eater, so I wanted to do the same with Sam. Charlie loved picking out Sam's foods at Trader Joes.I use a mix of fresh and frozen, organic or conventional...depends on the fruit/veggie, season, and price!
The Beaba Babycook makes it so easy...I steam a batch of a fruit/veggie (or, with bananas and avocado, skip that step), puree in the same container, and then pour into ice cube trays for the freezer. Once the food is frozen, I pop out the cubes and put them into labeled plastic bags.I don't really have to puree bananas or avocado, they work great straight from the source with a spoon! But when I see good sales, I load up and they usually have to be eaten within a few days, so I puree and freeze. I love the thick texture of homemade baby food, and was really surprised when I opened my first jarred baby food (with Charlie) because I couldn't handle the runny texture...if I wanted liquid I would keep him on just breast milk! And I love the flexibility...mix banana and avocado? Why not? Both boys love it :)

I can't wait until the butternut squash from the garden is ready!!!

2 comments:

Simpsons said...

I wish I had the time and patience to do this! You're super mom for sure:)

Katie C said...

It really doesn't take much time (maybe 30 minutes a week? since the steamer shuts off automatically I don't have to watch it) and it saves a ton of money...I know Brian will chuckle at that one!