Labor day weekend, we decided to drive up to Fair Oaks Farm to use a Groupon we bought and also to see my friend Devin and girls (who moved to Chicago a few years ago). Sadly, I'm THAT far behind on the blog...I know. To quote Charlie, "I'm doing my best!"
The day was beautiful, very sunny and not too hot. We took the "official tour" in the bus (not quite as informative as I would have liked as I wrangled my 3 littles) and saw the farm. Then we had lunch at their cafe before checking out the play area. The kids all loved the train, and a giant "bounce house" type thing that I didn't take a picture of. After a few minutes, we saw a green light in the cow building, so we went in to see a cow being born! It was pretty awesome, really.
By the "end" of the day (I'm guessing it was 2pm) my kids were exhausted and hardly wanted to smile for pictures...so this is the best we could do as a group shot of the kids.
All in all, I found the dairy a pretty interesting place--especially the place where the cows get milked! It's a turn-dial type wheel where the cows get in line, step on...and then the workers down lower clean and get the cows hooked up to the milkers (all while it's moving). The cow rides the circle around, where she is detached at the other side and then walks out just before another cow loads. Pretty amazing.










No comments:
Post a Comment